Friday, August 13, 2010

Rose Ann Curley McHugh, witness to the death of Susan Murphy Shields

My Carrolls left Ireland, probably in the 1850s, and lived in Scotland for 20-30 years. I've been searching for records on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk.
A few weeks ago, I found the record for the marriage of "John Carrel" and "Mary Jane Shiels," Nov. 7, 1861 in Rutherglen, Lanark, Scotland. Their parents are also listed. John's are Patrick Carrel, deceased, and Ann Curley, deceased. Mary Jane's are Patrick Shiels, deceased, and Susan Murphy.
Since Susan Murphy Shields was still alive at the time of John and Mary Jane's wedding, I decided to try to find death records in Scotland for the parents, especially Susan Murphy Shields. Last night I found that record, which lists Susan Shields' death as Mar 27, 1880. Fortunately, I was attentive to the witness:

So I discovered Mary Jane's sister, previously unknown to me, Rose Ann. A few more minutes of searching yielded Rose Ann's marriage certificate to James McHugh, on Jun 16, 1868. Her age was given on the marriage certificate, so I know she was born in approximately 1843.


2 comments:

  1. Seems we're both researching families in Scotland. I've done quite a bit of Scottish research, beginning in about 2003 in earnest. So, if you have any questions, let me know! BTW, I'm pretty sure it should be "Linlithgow"--the Livingstons of Callendar and Linlithgow are a famous family and since most McLeas anglicized as Livingston, I'm pretty familiar with them. That's not to say that there aren't alternate spellings or even pronunciations. That's just the spelling I've seen most often? Presuming we're talking about the same place, that is. All best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I think this comment is actually about your other post, but I missed when I hit comment!

    ReplyDelete